Thursday 10 June 2010

I have a date!

Just back from The Royal Marsden and I'm full of cottage pie, thanks Karen!

I waited 1.5 hrs to see Prof. Thomas.

He examined me... Ouch! (he apologised every time I winced)

He wants to go ahead with the operation to remove Clive as soon as possible.

He said the chance is high that it will start growing again and although more Radiotherapy could reduce it again, he wouldn't be able to operate after more Radiotherapy.

Apparently the damage caused by Radiotherapy makes operating more difficult, the exposed tissue becomes hardened (fibrosis), in fact if he doesn't operate soon he will not be able to operate at all.

So basically, this is my one shot at an operation.

He will be removing my Psoas muscle, which is where the tumour starts and this will affect the way I use my leg, I'm not sure how. He says I'll still be able to walk, without sticks, but I think I won't be able to lift my leg in the normal way.

I am booked for an operation at the Marsden on 22nd June, with health assessment next Wednesday (to make sure I am fit enough for the operation)

I can say no to the operation any time up to the Anaesthetic being administered, but I don't think I will.

I may have to get drunk tonight and do a lot of skateboarding this weekend, maybe the last time ever.
blog comments powered by Disqus