Tuesday 29 June 2010

Just how do YOU define gentle exercise?

I was discharged on Saturday afternoon after an idiotic search for the medications I took into hospital.
I eventually got fed up with waiting and we headed off without my most important medication in the hope that I could convince the local late-night pharmacy to issue me with a pack as an emergency.
As soon as we got home I went to bed and while I was asleep my meds arrived by cab, a Sister at The Marsden who knew what she was doing had found them in the pharmacy and had them sent down to Brighton.

On Sunday morning I woke up feeling pretty good, I'd been told by my physiotherapist to take it easy but to take light exercise, increasing every day.
It was a beautiful day and I was so glad to be out of hospital. So I decided to change the battery on my motorbike, that seemed like light work to me.... it went fine, but when Karen found out she wasn't very happy with me.... actually she told me off big time at the garden gate!
I took it easy for the rest of the day and on Monday morning I decided to gently wash my car (again gentle exercise as far as I was concerned). I took over an hour to wash it, moving slowly and carefully, it normally takes me 20 mins....
By late afternoon I was in major pain and went to see my GP, I was worried I may have an infection.

I had Karen with me and when my GP found out what I'd been up to since being discharged she rolled her eyes and looked at Karen and said that she was sure all men are stupid.....
Apparently after abdominal surgery you're not allowed to even fill the kettle for 2 weeks! (I'm going to go mad...)
She informed me that washing the car had put me at huge risk of getting a Hernia and putting me in line for another operation..... Hmmmm, I'm not ready for that yet.

She said I need to go home and stop being stupid, she did apologise that the Marsden hadn't given me written instructions about how to handle my recovery, and that
I've probably put myself back at least 2 days....

At least my car is clean and I can start my bike, shame I can't drive them for another 4 weeks.

I woke up this morning to find that a seagull had crapped on my car.... the ultimate injustice.

Or maybe there's just someone else in the queue trying to tell me not to be so stupid........
blog comments powered by Disqus